Location: New Delhi
Site Area: 1000 Acre
The Jawaharlal Nehru University was established in 1969 as a premier institution for postgraduate studies, after a prestigious international design competition. The campus is situated on rocky, undulating terrain in a hilly, forested region, and was therefore carefully planned along the slope in terraces. The natural landscape merges seamlessly with the built environment, keeping in mind the rich biodiversity of the ridge along which it is located. The use of brick was an integral part of the overall vision, as it had become of symbol of indigenous modernism in Indian architecture at the time. The fact that it is environment friendly, low cost and locally available made it ideal for such large scale use. At a time when the phrases “green building” and “green architecture” were yet to be coined, the design emphasized the importance of natural lighting, ventilation and passive cooling.
The campus is home to six academic blocks, a 10 storeyed library building, a conference, lecture and theater complex, administrative center, student activity center and 16 residential sectors, each comprising of hostel facilities for 600 students and 150 faculty residences.